Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Carry On My Wayward Drunk Runners

Hey there everybody. Long time, no hear. I know we have all been drinking but the question is whether any of us have been running. Thanks to Sixpack for the update. It is good to hear that he is taking to the streets again. I, too, have found my way back to the flock and will be posting more regularly. Until about two weeks ago, I hadn't really run with any regularity since Thanksgiving.

But I am back and back with a vengeance. I have recommitted myself to running. After all, short-sleeve weather is just around the corner and don't even get me started about swimsuit weather. Speaking of weather, yesterday's 3 miler was set against the backdrop of a brisk 27 degrees. I take great pride in the fact that I got my butt out to run in below freezing weather. Now I know I am going to hear from the Wisconsin contingency on this one and I already agree that you are way more bad-ass than me. I have decided that I prefer running in the cold over running in the heat and humidity. You can always add layers but rarely remove enough layers without running the risk of public indecency.

Last week I managed to put in 15 mi. (3-3 milers and 1-6 miler). Apparently, the dog prefers 6 miles over three as demonstrated by his frantic laps around the backyard after returning from our 3 mi. runs. I am sure that having four legs gives him only a slight edge over me.

I am really pleased to see how quickly my conditioning is returning. My times are coming down quickly, perhaps too quickly. As usual, I need to pace myself and not get so caught up in what my Garmin tells me. However, I doubt I will ever reach enlightenment and free myself completely from my obsession with pace. I really admire Deetschei who, at least recently, was running sans watch. That is just far too radical for a control freak like me.

I also purchased an incline ab board and am LOVING it. I forgot just how much I love the pain that comes with sit ups and crunches. Seriously, I am an ab freak. I am holding off on any serious weight training for my legs, however, until they have gotten used to the running routine. I am a total wuss when it comes to soreness and don't want it to interfere with my running schedule.

So, there you have it. I am running again as well and looking forward to Sixpack's posts. Hopefully, Daddy Deetschei will soon find time to blog about his runs. I am also putting out a request to you drunk runners regarding your music playlists. Always in search for new running music, I am asking you to post your playlist for a 60 min. run. If you have your mp3 player set to random/shuffle, then please list whatever comes up. I will return the favor by posting my favs.

No comments: