Sunday, December 07, 2008

Week 5 of 40 and Rollin' On!

YYYEEEEESSSSS!!!!!! Five weeks in a row! I really can't remember the last time I made all of my training runs for five straight weeks. I'm actually more proud of this than I am of my distances and times at the moment. It's been so motivating having each week behind me. I was lying in my nice warm bed this morning thinking, "I could wait until after lunch and then run." Then I thought to myself, "No! I'll probably have wine with lunch (Jenn and Steve are coming over.) and that will be the end of it." So I got out of bed and ran six miles. Clyde has always fought Sybill and usually won. I must say, I have rarely won that fight when I was lying in bed. I guess she likes to kick a man when he's down. :-)

So, on to the runs. Two miles Wednesday were more or less unremarkable. Except of course that it was snowing. And I mean snowing! It was cool. I'm making sure to do these runs, because I'll need the conditioning before I get to Wisconsin where it will be much much colder.

Five miles on Friday were difficult, but rewarding. I've begun training a little bit according to the Under 4 Hour Marathon book. A main principle is the negative split. I'm to run the first third slower than planned, the second third at the planned tempo, then the final third at faster than planned. IT WORKED!!!! I ended with a pace of about 9:16 which was my goal. I was worn out, and my legs still felt it this morning.

Today six miles. Nothing remarkable. Slow, just under 10:00 miles, which is right on track. The long runs aren't to be run trying to beat anything. I'm slowly learning this. The goal is to run the distance. So, when I find my self running too fast, I slow it down. It worked. I ran so far today that I could see the Reichstag (German Houses of Parliament). I had no idea it was so close to my house. Three miles, yes, but this is a massive city. It was a great run. I was a little tired on the way back, but maintained my pace with little difficulty. Great day!!!!

Week's Stats:

Miles: 13
Overall Time: 2:04:20
Average Pace: 9:34 -- That's only 34 seconds off my goal pace! Not bad. Not bad.
Overall Impression: I Like Running Almost As Much As I Like Beer (ILRAAMAILB)

P.S. For those not in the know, Baby Deetschei (it's a girl!) was born Dec. 5 at 11:45 a.m. in London. Congratulations Dr. Papa Deetschei!!!

1 comment:

dr. deetschei said...

keep it up, man!!!!!! you are a stud. i am so proud of your dedication to the cause. keep it up!!!!