Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Post-Marathon Week Four. Possibly Week Five.

Last week was my first week in which I broke fifteen miles since the marathon. Because of rain on the previous Sunday, I had to move my five miler to Monday. I followed that with three miles on Tuesday, and then another three and five miles with Sixpack when he was in town.

The first two runs weren’t really notable, but the last two were fantastic. Sixpack pretty much summed it up: it rained on us both times, and there were a few hills involved. On the first run, we went out towards the track where I did all of my speedwork for the marathon, which involved going through the Brockley conservation area and a lovely park in Ladywell. The second run was less “lovely”, in that we ran through Deptford towards Greenwich, but I tried to distract Sixpack from all of the crime and seediness by reminding him that we were actually running on the actual route of the London marathon, a “World Major Marathon,” and that his feet were treading the same asphalt as many a Kenyan.

Speaking of Kenyans, we should have been hungover the entire time because of the amount of beers we drank. However, remarkably neither of us felt too bad on the days after the nights of drinking. In fact, I should be hungover right now as I type this, two days after he left. It’s a miracle and a reason to give thanks. I haven’t run with a drunk runner since my wedding day, a year and a half ago. And that was the first run I had completed with a drunk runner since about a year before that.

In a way, the fact that Don and I could get out and run together and not feel like we have missed a beat is due to this blog, which has really served its purpose of keeping a few close friends together in spite of the fact that they now live thousands of miles apart, in different countries. So, one more time, “YAY to the blog!”

Week in Review:

Total Miles: 16
Total Time: No idea
Avg. Pace: No clue
Overall Impression: Happy Thanksgiving, Fellow Runners! (HTFR!)

1 comment:

Sixpack Chopra said...

Thanks Man. I'll add those runs to the list of interesting ones. It wasn't quite Nettles in Braintree, but they were awesome!
I continue to be impressed with your recovery. It's an inspiration for me.