Tuesday, December 02, 2008

London: Week 4 of 40

Yep folks. Last week was mostly run in London with Deetschei. First and foremost I would like to say that it rains a lot in London. And when I say a lot I really mean all the time.
Friday morning after a hedonistic Thanksgiving we were actually able to get up and run 3 miles. Right now the focus is not at all on speed, but on distance, so we took it very easy. It was nice. Lots of puddles to dodge, and don't even get me started on whether I should look left or right. Let alone what I should do at a dual roundabout. Thank God I didn't have to drive there, just run.

We went through a fantastic neighborhood of old houses and nice tree-lined streets and finally made our way to a park. It was a great run. Although, I have to say, I could have done without the hills. They weren't very big, but I'm way out of practice. It was a little rough.

Sunday was 5 miles. Again, we had been out the night before, yet somehow British beer seems to not cause hangovers. Especially when combined with Indian food and multiple viewings of "Kung Fu Panda." (We watched it twice because Deetschei passed out the first time. I passed out too, but I had seen it before, so I was excused.)

It seemed a bit of a struggle to run 5 miles through Deetschei's hood. Mostly because there aren't those long boulevards I'm used to in SF, to say nothing of the highways of southern Wisconsin. We did a lot of weaving here and there, a lot of puddle dodging and a lot of puddle missing. It was, however, a fantastic run. We kept it at a relaxed pace. I aimed for somewhere between 9:30 and 10:00 on the Garmin, and we kept pretty well to that pace. The final paces were a little over 10:00 because I never stopped the watch for the many crosswalks.

It was fantastic to run again with Deetschei. It had been way too long. Just like running with any of the DrunkRunners. There is something VERY inspiring for me in running with my fellow bloggers. We've put a lot of time together on the road and this only makes me want to continue.

Tomorrow is 2 miles, then 5 miles, then 6 miles. Holy Heck! It's going to be a rough week, but I'm ready.

Stats:

Miles: 10
Time: 99:01
Average: 9:54
Beers Consumed: ~ 22 + 1.5 bottles of wine

Overall Impression: With Weekends Like That London Could Become My Favorite City! (WWLTLCBMFC!)

No comments: