Thursday, December 04, 2008

To chase a Turkey

Dear beloved Drunk Runners and Stumblers, I have missed you. But fear not, while I may be a complete slacker in the realm of blogging, I have not slacked on my running. Since last you heard from me, I have successfully completed weekly runs totaling 11 miles per week. While this is nothing to brag about, particularly since the memory of putting in 11 miles in one run are not so distant, I am happy to be consistent at this point. My times, I am even happier to say, are better than I had anticipated after 3 months off. I have been averaging 8:55-9:00 paces despite (or perhaps because of) the hills I have been running. After purchasing cold weather running gear (you know I LOVE to blog about running apparel - sometimes I wonder if I don't run just because of all the neat clothing and accessories. I am soooo girly), and reflective accessories for safety since it gets dark around 4:30 here, I decided I might as well sign up for a 10K Thanksgiving Turkey Chase to give myself a little challenge. Stupid me, I 1) naively assumed that anything called a Turkey Chase wouldn't involve hills and 2) had totally convinced myself that I would keep a steady pace and not go out too fast. Wrong on both accounts. Mile 1 was FABULOUS at a 8:20 pace. Mile 2 still fabulous at an 8:29 pace. Miles 3-6.23 less fabulous as miles 3-5 were steadily uphill with the occasional flat surface for intersections. Okay, okay. I am sure I am exaggerating a little. If you Google Earthed Wisconsin Ave heading from Bethesda toward Chevy Chase, I am sure it is not that extreme, but after you foolishly push too fast your first two miles the last 4.23 seem like they are never going to end - especially when you haven't "trained" for it. I really honestly thought I had told myself that this would just be one of my three weekly runs. And in the end, it wasn't horrible. My goal was to finish just under a 9:00 pace, but I was content to finish under 9:30. In the end, I split the difference with 9:16. Went home and took a nap while hubby prepared duck (apparently the other Thanksgiving meat).

So, that is what I have been up to and I wish I had been in London, 'cause the last time the Drunk Runners were all in town together and suppose to run, the drink got the better of us all and I now regret it. I fondly think back to that painful but rewarding first 12 miler I did with Deetschei and Sixpack in Napa. Those were the days!

That is just a quick update from me and I hope to be better about actually blogging about the running I have been doing once classes are over next week. WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Sixpack Chopra said...

When will we all learn not to go out so fast at the beginning? We are all incredibly guilty of it. You still clocked a time to be proud of given your training. Congrats and welcome back!