Thursday, April 03, 2008

Running with an Ankle.....Brace

Folks, it is week nine of the marathon training and things are getting crazy. I was sick and/or on Spring Break for most of March, which really messed up the running schedule. This week will be the first week in which I ran every mile prescribed since week 4, which was back in February. Aside from the time off due to the flu, I'm in pretty good shape.

  Thank ankle is still bothering me, often invoking a running stance akin to Quasimodo. Yesterday I took action and purchased a simple ($15 was as simple as they got) ankle brace, and that served me very well today. Not only was my ankle not as sore during the run, I feel I'm recovering better from the run itself. I always told myself that I would stop running if it required wearing a brace every time I run, so we'll see how recovery goes. I'll try a run next week without it. If I'm still in pain I'll see a doctor. My guess is that the ankle pain is some sort of tendonitis, but I have no way of knowing. Some of you may recall my self-diagnosis of a stress fracture, only to find out that it was shin splints. Ooops.
  Sunday was an awesome run. I ran with Forest and we covered the better part of Madison. Starting with the charity runners in a parking lot across the street from my in-laws, we ran the first 4 miles with them and then we lost them, or they lost us, either way we couldn't see them any more. The route took us around lake Monona, which is huge and quite picturesque. We could see the lake for most of the run and keeping it on our left were able to find our way back to the starting line. 
During a short out and back segment that we through in to make sure we had enough miles, Forest offered the option of returning the way we had already traveled or heading the rest of the way around the lake.  I take full responsibility for the fact that I chose to finish the lap around the lake, and that that is where we ran into all the hills. Forest was cursing my name, but I have to say I felt more in my element. Running the hills my legs opened up and I suddenly found it difficult to slow down so that he could keep up. All in all a great feeling. Especially since it was a good indication that I will kick his ASS in May.
  Yesterday, 2 miles. Uneventful, treadmill, blah, blah, blah.
  Today: 7 miles. Speedwork today! I did 5 miles on a track (plus one mile there and back) and maintained the prescribed 9:22 pace. I was surprised and encouraged that I was able to keep up the pace. The ankle brace held up, and I would guess that the slowing down that did happen in the end was entirely dehydration.
  Sunday: Sixpack turns 37, and he must run 18 miles. This is my favorite run of all of them. I'll leave the house and make my way to the Golden Gate Bridge, I'll run across it and back, then follow the path back to downtown and catch the bus home. I love running Golden Gate Bridge. It really gives me a sense of accomplishment!!!

Overall:
Miles: 25
Average pace: 9:45
Impression: Back On Track And Looking To Kick Forest's Proverbial Behind On My Way To The Beer Tent! (BOTALTKFPBOMWTTBT!)

1 comment:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Happy Birthday, Old Man (despite the fact that you didn't wish me a happy birthday last month - but I'm not bitter, noooo....) ;) Glad to hear you are hanging in there and that the brace helps. I am now beginning to see the full extent of the damage marathon training takes on the body. But more of that anon. Keep up the running - I'll be staring at your back during B2B, I am certain!