Monday, April 07, 2008

Running with a Lower Body

Does anyone see a trend in our posts of late? I haven't gone through them, but I can only surmize that a large majority of our recent posts have been dedicated to pain and injury!

I haven't posted in a while, not because I haven't been running, but simply because I haven't felt like there was anything newsworthy about which to post. After my first failed attempt at 20 miles (conditions proved less than favorable - a wind advisory that I had conveniently failed to notice, 90-something % humidity, and high pollen/tree count) ended at mile 13, I vowed to avenge my honor with the second 20 mile run scheduled in my training plan. Other than that, my runs have consisted of the standard 2 mi easy runs, the 7-8 mi. tempo runs, and the 12-16 mi. long runs. None of these presented any real problems and have been rather uneventful. Although, I did manage to give myself a fever by running my 16 miler with a sinus infection. Oops. Other than that, my only big concern has been my shin splints (I can totally see how Sixpack might think it was a stress fracture given how crippling they can feel). I have had to adjust/skip some of my runs in order to rest and give my legs some time to recover. In anticipation of yesterday's 20 miler, I made sure to take an anti-inflammatory early that morning and to ice my shins throughout the morning and afternoon.

Now, I can only assume that the copious (and I DO mean copious) amount of alcohol that I consumed the night before at Ginifers did not serve me well, because I almost delayed my run because I felt like such crap. But, I told myself, yet again, that I would not lose faith in my tried-and-true Kenyan training method, so I ran hungover. This wouldn't have been a real problem, had it not been 80 degrees yesterday. I have had to face the sad, tragic fact that there will be no more "cool" and "chilly" running days before the marathon. It looks like high 70s to low-mid 80s from here until the end of April. Even pushing my run off until late afternoon didn't seem to matter. Checking the weather report, even early morning the temperatures were still anticipated to be in the high 60s/low-mid 70s. But enough about the weather.


The plain and simple fact is that I failed my 20-miler yet again. ARGH!!!!

I made it to mile 17, which was a feat in and of itself, because my lower body had seized up on me by mile 15. During my run I thought about Forest and Sixpack's stories of finishing runs with one leg completely straight and looking like a total freakshow while just trying to finish. While I am disappointed that I still haven't completed 20 miles (the marathon is 2 weeks away) and am beginning to doubt whether I will be able to complete 26.2, I fully stand behind my decision to stop at mile 17. I have NEVER EVER EVER wanted to cry during a run before - except perhaps while doing rehab for my two torn ACLs - until yesterday. It took about everything I had just to make it home. Today, I almost wish I had stopped at mile 15, because I fear I have truly "done myself a mischief." My right ankle, calf, and knee make it impossible to put any weight on leg. In order to walk up the stairs, I have to do the ol' "one leg up, next leg up onto the same step" routine. I have to keep my right leg entirely straight while walking because the shooting pain in my ankle makes me cringe and grind my teeth. If things don't improve by mid-week, I am heading to the doctor. I've experienced similar pain before after runs, but never to this degree. Keep your fingers crossed that it isn't anything that will prevent me from attempting the marathon.

On that fabulous note, I can report that my time for the 17 miles (walking and limping included) wasn't half bad. However, I'd prefer to cross the finish line without looking like Quasimodo, but at this point I suppose I would settle for just finishing.

Yesterday's Run:
Distance: 17.55
Total Time: 3:05:49
Overall Impression: OUCH! (OUCH!)

Week's Runs:
Distance: 27
Time: 4:34:55

3 comments:

Sixpack Chopra said...

So sorry to hear about your lower body. It will recover soon. I have faith--in what I'm not sure. Take care of yourself and know that missing a workout or two is not the end of the world.
Keep us posted about your recovery.

dr. deetschei said...

hey dude! i wrote you a long email so i dont neeed to elaborate here. but you can do it. it wont be pretty, so forget that. but you can do it.

dr. deetschei said...

check out this post. i didnt finish my 20 miler before my last marathon either!

http://drunkrunners.blogspot.com/2006/09/2-runs.html