Sunday, April 13, 2008

Running by the Numbers

37 -- the age of Sixpack Chopra during today's run. I felt great knowing that I was 37 and still running well. I recall thinking, ten years ago, that I would probably not be running at such an old age. After all, one needs to slow down at some point.

20  -- Number of miles completed today! Yes, I did say completed. It was a long day, almost four hours, but I made it through.

80 -- approximate temperature during most of my run. It was a scorcher. I think I even burnt the top of my head. Oh well, at least it was sunny. After months and months of cold weather we have finally had an amazing weekend.  Everyone was out so the trails/route were packed, but it felt great to be out there with them all.

3 -- Number of water/potty breaks. I wouldn't normally go to such extreme measures, but with the heat today I knew very early that I was going to need to stock up on water throughout the run.

68 -- Ounces of gatorade and water consumed during today's run. It was brutal. I did manage though to stave off dehydration. The sweaty seat on the train ride home confirmed that I had maintained full hydration.

2930 -- Number of calories burned during 20 miles. If that's not reason enough to run I don't know what is.  This, of course, prompted a trip to In-N-Out for lunch (Best-O-Burger doesn't open for another week.)

Not much else to say about the run. A few things I learned today: 
  1. That ankle brace is awesome, but I'm going to schedule a doctor's appointment to try to figure out how to get back to running without one. 
  2. Tourists are generally confused by half-naked men running past them with band-aids on his nipples.
  3. If you say it forcefully enough the word "Excuse Me" can be understood no matter what your native language.
  4. Pedestrians are not allowed on the western side of the Golden Gate Bridge. I learned this after walking under to bridge hoping that running on the other side would help me avoid some of the tourists. Alas, I had to retrace my steps and run with them anyway.
  5. Warm vanilla Gu reminds me of some sort of frappuccino, only warm and not so sweet.
The final Numbers:

Miles this week: 33
Time: 5:41
Average Pace: 10:20
Overall Impression: There Is Nothing Like a 20 Mile Run To Make One Appreciate Sitting Down. (TINLA20MRTMOASD)

This post brought to you by: Gu, In-N-Out, and the people at Best-O-Burger.

3 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

awesome miles, dude! you are coming along excellently. just talked to a guy about dublin last night. starting to sound more and more appealing.
i'm up and running again. logged 18 miles last week. posts shall come soon.

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Excellent run, Sixpack! I envy you!!! I agree with you about the ankle brace and the warm vanilla Gu. Yuuuum. Can't wait to run B2B with you. We should definitely make it festive this year.

Sixpack Chopra said...

It always be Festive!!!! I've got the costume and am ready to go. Does this mean you are definitely in?