Sunday, March 16, 2008

Born To Run 14 miles to the Taxi

It was a long run, but I was encouraged when I turned on my iPod and--on shuffle--it immediately began playing "Born to Run." I knew it was going to be a good day.  The route was one of my favorites, over the hill to Golden Gate Park, out to the Golden Gate Bridge, through Chrissy Field then over the hill to Pier 39, along the Embarcadero to the Ferry Building and then up Market until I reached 14.

  All in all a very good run. I had some issues right after completing mile 1. As near as I can tell, there is something my IT Band doesn't like about climbing hills at the beginning of a run and then immediately heading back down them. I was in so much pain for a little stretch there that I thought I was going to have to walk home. Instead I did some of those magic Deetschei stretches and I was good as new. I was still not 100% stable, but I decided to at least complete 4 miles, which would at least get me to a bus stop.  When I reached 4 miles I felt fine so I pushed on.
  There were a few stops/rests in the route. Potty break at mile 4, and again at mile 9, stretching at miles 1 and 11. I think that's it. I'm not so worried about such breaks as the end result is still 14 miles. After all, I've read advice that if it is too hot and humid for 14 miles straight you should break it up into 2 or 3 mile segments taking breaks to cool off and rehydrate.
  When I had finished 14 miles I took the bus home. Just as I was boarding the bus the song "Taxi" by Jawoll came on. I tell you, my iPod knew exactly what I was up to yesterday!

Yesterday's numbers:
Miles: 14
Time: 2:22:34
Pace: 10:10/mile
Catcalls: 1 (at 11.5 miles)
Cheered on because I crashed the course of a race in progress: 3 times
Overall Impression: Currently Walking With a Knee But Otherwise Not Too Sore Considering. (CWWAKBONTSC!)

No comments: