Sunday, March 16, 2008

8 Down--How many more to go?

My posts always seem to be sister-guilt related, but sometimes I just need a reminder to post...(That and the fact that I can't read the blog at work anymore as our IT dept has caught on to the "drunk" part of the blog name and blocked me.)

I've gotten back on the trail/treadmill after February's nasty sinus business and finally did my 8 miles today. It wasn't as hard as I was expecting, although I did get the evil side-stitch at about mile 6.5 but I was able to keep moving and thankfully it went away. I also got my first passing car "shout-out". I don't know what they said, but it was mile 7.5 and I know it wasn't because I was looking all cute...

Thanks to some over-the-phone coaching from Ginifer and Dr. PP over the weekend, I managed to go farther and my average pace was a minute faster than my previous long runs (14:00--slower than a speeding bullet but faster than my speedwalking mother). Even mile 4, which is always uphill most of the way and against the wind, was faster than usual. Sorry, girls, it was still a little chilly for me to try to the birthday running skirt but I'll give it a try-out at the Y on Tuesday.

I'm soooooo looking forward the massage I have scheduled for my day off tomorrow. :)

5 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Hey, since we will probably be wearing different tops for the OKC half and full marathon, what do you think about printing up some DrunkRunner caps to wear? Maybe Sixpack can help me throw something together on Cafe Press...?

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

FYI, sister-guilt is the best kind of guilt there is :) Congrats on the distance and pace!!!

Sixpack Chopra said...

Congrats, ROWC! That's awesome!!!! 8-miles is great and it's a huge milestone.

As for the caps, let me know what you might want, I can put something together.

Clyde S. Dale said...

I remember when I started running and Six pack and PP said don't worry about the time just get the miles in. Well you are getting them in and improving your time. 8 miles is great, and the time will come gradually start to come down. I actually came back 2 minutes faster after a month and a half off this last summer.Just keep hitting the road, the timing will work itself out.

RunsOnlyWhenChased said...

Hats sound like an excellent idea--I'm game.
Thanks everyone for the encouragement--if anyone had said 6months ago that I would be spending my Sunday afternoons running, I would have laughed hysterically and then possibly had them committed.