Sunday, February 04, 2007

Long way to go!!

Brother Forrest already notified all that we made it through without frostbite. I have learned 3 things from this race. I need better gear so I don't feel like the jet-puff marshmallow man when I'm out in frigid weather trying to get my walk on, I can sweat in sub-zero temperatures, and I have a lot of work to do in order to run the Bay to Breakers. This has turned into my true point of conviction. I have continued to drop weight, but I'm struggling with the smoking. My back went out a couple of weeks ago and I ended up not running at all prior to this race, so this was a walker for me. I don't know that I will be running until the weather clears here. It's miserable training out in this crap!! Forrest has informed me of 2 other races in the near future, which will give me goal dates and building blocks for B to B. For now, it's just me, my diet and Turbo Jam (a desperate Midwest attempt at avoiding frostbite).

I was truly amazed yesterday to see Forrest so far ahead of my friend that has been running her entire life!! He was amazing out there, especially since he was fighting some pretty severe elements. My only complaint about this race and the party afterwards: when I'm with my brothers, someone (in this case several people yesterday) think that we are married!! We wore the most amazing hats and since they matched, everyone's assumption was husband and wife!! I may be jaded, but I don't see many couples out there just kicking back and having a good time or bickering in public like I do with them!! Where does the confusion come in? Thank you, Forrest, for letting me do what I could do and not expect more. It was an awesome day spent with you!! You need to be overly proud of your time, cause I am!!

3 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Congratulations Sandi! B2B is gonna be a snap if you can do the race you just ran under those extreme conditions! Keep up the running and you will kick the smoking soon enough! ;)

Sixpack Chopra said...

Rock on, Sandi! Or should that be Grace On? I mean what does Sandi Patti -- all that is pure and good in the christian world -- do when she is being amazing?

It's great that you guys did the race today. Here I was whining at 8 a.m. because the temp was probably about 55. I shall do my best to no longer complain.

You two are awesome for tackling that weather. Kick the cigs (have you tried the patch?) and you will be right out front!!!

dr. deetschei said...

Yeah, I think the lowest in cologne has been the low 40s. I'm a wuss. You are definintely getting my respect! B2B will be no problem!