Thursday, August 10, 2006

The light at the End of the Tunnel

Ladies and gentleman, there is one!!!!!

After a painful week and a half of inactivity following the marathon, I do believe I'm back on my feet. While Yoga is not particularly straining on the knees it was a good test of what kind of muscles I can use in the area and still feel no pain. The class at the evil hour of 6:45 a.m. went very well. And I was master at Yoga!!! I could tell by how many times the instructor said something like: You in the ROTC shirt, straighten your knee. Or: You in the ROTC shirt, sit on a block it will be easier. (thus inferring I was doing anything but make it look easy. Hell, I was just happy to be sitting.) And before you get any wise ideas, the ROTC stands for Righteously Outrageous Twirling Corps (A throw back to the Drum Corps days, kind of.) So, yoga has proven I may be ready to run. Will try something on Saturday.
In the meantime I couldn't be happier to be on the road to recovery. I've bought all sorts of inspirational material, Dean Karnazes "Ultra-Marathon", Patricia Nell Warren's "The Front Runner" to keep me motivated during my bedtime reading. I'll keep you posted on the Karnazes book, for those interested. Also, I'm contemplating another book. Run to Win: Training Secrets of the Kenyan Runners I know we already know the answer, but there's no harm in seeing just how much they drink, is there?
I'll keep you posted as to progress.
Deetsch - Congrats on staying on track, despite the cake and the shots and the beers and the......

Hater - Work it out. Sounds like getting outside could be the best thing for you. It will be hell, but in the end you'll be a stronger runner than I in my pampered world, complaining that the temperature rose to 70 before noon on the day of the SFMarathon.

1 comment:

dr. deetschei said...

Dude, that's amazing. I need to start reading more running books for inspiration, so let me know how they work.
Today's another four miles. I've been reading some other runner's blogs, and man I feel like I'm not doing anything. There are some people out there that fucking run a lot. Honestly though, I don't think I could run that much right now anyway...