Thursday, August 31, 2006

Hark, What Nick Through Yonder Window Breaks?

Welcome Marathon Nick!!!!! I just wanted to be the first to usher in the new member. Gosh, we feel like we already know you.
From stories of smoking while running to feats of eating and running that only Dayton would also attempt I must say we bow at your feet for having run Boston. (Picture, at least myself, in a Wayne's Worldesque pose chanting, "We're not worthy....")

Now, on to today's run. Bear with me here folks as I will be detailing most every run for at least a little while. Until the novelty of being able to run wears off, I'm afraid your stuck with me. Went to the RSF today for a nice timed run on the treadmill. Changed clothes next to someone who must have sweat his fucking nuts off in May, thrown the dirty clothes in the locker, and is yet to have cleaned them. My was that pleasant. And then headed out to do some stretching and join the mayhem that is the RSF during the first week of classes.

All went well. There was only a 5 minute wait for a treadmill, all things considered not a bad wait. Then it was up onto the machine. Went for a five minute walk (which I may have to incorporate from now on) and then sent the track screaming at a dizzying 10 minute mile pace. Each lap I increased the speed by 1/10th of a mile. That is for a mile. Then I began to slow things down as the knee was beginning to hurt. I'm truly beginning to feel that I'm a little scared of pushing my knee, and that the conservative decisions may be holding me back. However, if I'm wrong and the conservativism is helping (Oh Lord, help us if conservativism can help anything.) then I injure myself. So, for now, I proceed with extreme caution.

That said, it was a great emotional boost to be able to even run 2 miles and still feel like I wouldn't need joint replacement.

In the end here's the deal:

Distance: 2 miles
Time: 18:50
Place: RSF Treadmill (the nice ones)
Overall Impression: LOSATANMIT (Look Out Steve Austin There's A New Man In Town)

1 comment:

Marathon Maritza said...

I used to work for Cal and ALWAYS had to wait at least 30 min for a tread there...it's packed ALL DAY!

Anyway, great job, keep it easy on the knee and get better and stronger!