Monday, July 21, 2008

Swimming a 9:30 mile!

Yes, you read that correctly. I went out the other day for my 3 mile run and finally realized what Dr. PP was talking about when she needed to grow gills. It's awful. I felt like I was aspirating the entire run, but I did it! Well, almost.

I headed out of the house and decided to run the driveway--that's a 1/4 mile already! And just headed on down the road. Aside from the need for goggles and fins, I have to say it all went very well. I didn't exactly have the distance mapped out, and I haven't found the other half to my Nike+ since the move, so I was judging the distance by my watch. My previous 2-mile runs had been at 9:30 so I assumed that would be my pace for 3.

On my way back my newfangled shoe laces proved to be not so cool. They are elastic "never tie your shoes again" shoe laces, and I have to make some adjustments to them, for I could feel the blister on my heel at mile 2.3. Mind you, I haven't had a blister since the finish line of my first marathon 2 years ago. I tried to push through it and keep running, then I remembered that I had promised myself I wasn't going to be injured this time around. I know that sounds a little wussy, but a blister can set you back a few days and I didn't want that to happen. So I stopped and walked home. I measured the course yesterday and it turns out I had actually already run 2.8 miles, so I was pretty happy.

Today I undertake the 3 mile that I should have run yesterday (letting the blister heal) and will begin treadmill training later this week. My schedule will be a little f'ed up this week what with a flight to china and all, but I will stay on track!!!

BTW, I have started a blog to relate my travel experiences and will be letting everyone know of my exciting journeys through that. You can find it atVagabunt. I won't be able to tell you everything until I get back from China. Word is our internet activity and our conversations will be monitored. Oh how I love China!!!!

2 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

hey dude!
sounds like you are setting up a good base and being smart about avoiding injuries! that's awesome. i look forward to hearing about training in asia, which after my running in europe and africa, checks off yet another continent in the marathon training world domination plan.

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

If you were staying in WI, I would send you a wet suit :) Glad to hear that you are pushing through the stickiness but not risking injury. Also glad that you will have a treadmill available, but I desperately wanna hear about a run outdoors, just so you can regale us with tales of Black Lung. ;)