Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Bay To Breakers (aka DrunkRunners Fest) 2008

Thank you, Sixpack, for sounding the call to all Drunk Runners. I admit that I have been very remiss in posting since my marathon. Initially there was nothing to report as I was sidelined by that ever-so-annoying Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome Hoopla.

A report from Bay to Breakers is long overdue. Due to various factors: Sixpack was practically on his deathbed (despite the copious amount of alcohol we poured down his throat in an attempt to kill whatever was making him sick), my shins and ankle were still causing me a lot of pain, the copious amount of alcohol consumed across the Bay Area the day/night prior to the race, etc.... we ended up walking the race and taking in all the sights, sounds, and liquids we came across along the way to the finish line.

First there were drinks at Vesuvio in North Beach (sadly, no pics).

Then multiple Irish Coffees at the legendary Buena Vista.

Next was Jupiter, where we sat and drank beer for at least 5 hours - there might have been some pizza and live reggae in there somewhere, but I mostly remember beer:

After that it was off to our dearest haunt, Zeitgeist (again, no pics). If memory serves me correctly, we headed back to Sixpack's place at around 1:30 am and more drinks were consumed. Only Ginifer seemed fit enough the next morning to run the race; however, out of a strong sense of DrunkRunner loyalty, we all ended up walking it together. To be fair there was a bit of running at appropriate moments - at the start of the race, up the last few blocks of Hayes Street (how I hate you, Hayes Street!), during photo ops, and a mad dash toward the finish line.Lest you think us total weenies, we did consume Jello shots before 10am!

And stopped by the beer tent, post race, for refreshments after our arduous effort!

While I have opted not to post pictures of every naked person we saw, I leave that in Sixpack's capable hands, I will share these pics with you. There is something to be said for walking B2B - you certainly get to see a lot more of the colorful side of the event.


The start of the race - flying tortillas, marshmallows, and beach balls. Note the tons of yellow signs telling us we were sinners and going to hell.

A group who were apparently big fans of "Deadliest Catch"

My Peeps (This one was for Chantelle)

Vikings

My favorite: Salmon swimming upstream

My arch nemesis: Hayes Street

Who doesn't want to save the TaTas?

Seriously, did anyone actually think there wouldn't be a group of Elvises at this race?

Don's lesser known, but feistier twin

Well, it was a long 7.46 miles, but we finished and looked damn fine in our skirts - Note: Sixpack got more shout-outs from fellow skirt runners than the sistas, which was most likely due to the fact that he has the better legs!

No comments: