Sunday, July 27, 2008

Running in Beijing

The short version of this post is that it hasn't happened yet. I have, however, been doing a lot of walking. And I do mean a lot. I have decided, after tackling Tiannenmen Square, Banhei Park and the Pearl Market already today, that my run will be tomorrow morning. This will keep me a little off schedule, but the walking is surely helping, and quite frankly I'm having some weird leg pains. Can't figure those out yet, but it will come in time.

I will not be running outdoors. Period. Two reasons:

1) This picture

That is Beijing at about 5 p.m. It has looked like that since I got here. Now imagine that humidity with 90 degree weather. I'm sorry Dr. PP but that is worse than anything Texas has ever seen.

I still await someone who can explain the fascination with building world capitols on swamps. Berlin, Washington, D.C., Beijing. I mean, WTF?

2) I have been here for three days and seen One, count him, One runner. That's it. It just isn't done here. Besides, if you knew the chaos that is crossing the street WITH a green walk light here, you might understand my apprehension to put myself in harms way just for a run. BTW, I have been here for 3 days and am yet to see a cab driver use a turn signal. I feel so at home!!

That's it. As soon as I run at the gym here, I'll be sure to post.

No comments: