Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Training Begins

With Forest having shattered the Drunkrunner Marathon world record, it's time to get down to business. Julie and I have begun training for the Houston Marathon, and this is the official call out to all of you to join us in this. Over the next 34 weeks we will complete an 18-week 1/2 marathon training, and a 16-week marathon training. Don't ask me why it takes two more weeks to train for 1/2 the distance, but the gods at Runners World say so. I'll be following the FIRST programs at Runners World. I'll post the schedule if anyone is interested. It involves only 3 runs per week, with cross training on two other days. In the meantime this means dusting the cobwebs off my bicycle. I"ve ridden this morning to the coffee shop and will venture to Noe Valley soon.

Yesterdays training run was already intense. 7 miles! And that was the speed work. It's gonna be a long training, but I'm hoping that doing the two will encourage less strain and less injury. In an ideal world, I will qualify for Boston in Houston, which will mean another trip for a marathon, shucks. But my real goal is to kick Forest's ass!

4 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

The hubby and I are moving into a rental house, so there will be plenty of room for people to crash. Granted, it is an hour away from Houston, but the better news is that it is only 15 mins from the beach. January in southwest Texas might be beachable. :) Anywho, that is just some added incentive to you Drunkards!

Clyde S. Dale said...

I Forest would like to speak for Stroller motor and I know if she were to answer it would be this.
On January 6th I will still be on winter break and my husband should be off work for a while by then so I see no reason why Todd, myself and Alana can't come down. I can run and the rest of my family can cheer us all on. Thanks for the invitation PP that sounds wonderful. Maybe this will get me going again. I've been doing well but this will push me even further.

stroller motor said...

Just like a republican-dictating the lives of others :) Ok-I don't want to start some political debate-but I just couldn't resist. I'd love to say that Forest is right on, but I can't say that running a marathon is my biggest goal right now. Perhaps I'll start with a 5K and eventually move up to a half marathon. It's great to have such a wonderful offer-thanks PP!!

Clyde S. Dale said...

Wow Sroller, the last time we talked you wouldn't even consider a half. I'm waering you down baby, it's just a matter of time and you'll be training for a full.