Friday, December 29, 2006

Drunkrunner Berkeley/Wisconsin Chapter!

Hey all,
This is an open question for the forum. It is my plan to get together another group to train for the Bay to Breakers this year - if your friends leave you, make new ones. That's my motto. I've been wondering what we should call each other. I hate to tarnish the memory of the Hayes Street Haters, and don't really have time to wait for the name to organically evolve as HSH did. Wayne will be raising money for LLS and will be needing a T-shirt. So, I was thinking of proposing, since Jason Kooiker will be joining, of calling the group Drunkrunners! Any objections? We could then post pictures of the Drunkrunners with their shots and hard core beers on a website and show up those SoCal Drunkrunner wussies (Just how does one spell that word?)! I would be happy to make commemorative shirts for those that can't be with us, complete with appropriate names! As your spiritual leader, I will be changing my name this year. Sixpack Chopra is so much more inspired than Altar Boy although...-- Oh, hey wait a minute, that's gross!
So the question is, do we take the group beyond cyberspace and start a chapter hear in Berkeley? Which would also mean Wisconsin as Wayne, my Dad and others will be coming from Wisco for the race. The sick irony being that my dad's plan is to quit drinking and use running as a substitute. This doesn't disallow a victory shot at the end of the race.

In other news, running is going really well. I've slowed a bit in the past few weeks, but I'm hoping that is just normal. I'm facing my 20 mile run this sunday. Yes, the last run of the year, and it's fucking 20 miles. It's a beautiful route though. I've run it, in shorter versions for the past two weeks. I'll head out over the back of Twin Peaks, then down 7th Avenue to Golden Gate Park I'll wander through the park from 7th Avenue to the other side at 25th Avenue. 25th leads to the Presidio where I follow the cliffs along the ocean to the Golden Gate Bridge. Sunday I will have to run at least 2 miles out on the bridge, which basically means crossing it, and then head back. Then it's down to Crissy Field for a run along the bay to the Embarcadero (a la our runs to Sausalito last year, only backwards) and then head up Market to end at the Happy Rainbow Flag in the Castro. I catch the bus there and gross out the Homo Heights Express with my sweaty smells -- I almost said sweaty balls, but then wasn't sure that would gross them all out -- and unkempt hair. It's a beautiful run and really leaves me with a sense of accomplishment. 20 miles should leave one with a sense of something shouldn't it?

I ran the 16 mile run with a 9:33 mile, but was only able to run the 18 mile in about 10:15 (I can't call it up right now). Today's 10 mile was in 10 minute miles, so I'm tired, but can't slow down. This is the big week. 39 miles, and I'm only 15 miles into it. I'll get it done and then the taper starts! I'm so psyched for the taper I can hardly wait.

Impressions will be logged when I finish the 20 miler!!! Wish me luck!
Your leader,
Sixpack Chopra

4 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

I'm not against it if I get a shirt, but I think we should get Kooiker on board on-line as well, if he's going to be a part of the group! He's a savvy guy who I'm sure has lots to say.

dr. deetschei said...

Dude, that run sounds absolutely amazing. You can totally do it, and then know afterwards, that if you can run 20, you can run 26 again!
Being slow is just part of the fatigue. Look at my posts and see how much I slowed down just between the half marathon and 18 miles. It was dramatic!
You can do it bro!

Sixpack Chopra said...

Thank god they archive this thing. Then I can look back. Thanks for the support. I'd forgotten how fatigued I got.

I'll get Kooiker on after the new year. We leave for New York in a few days. I'll do it when I get back. I also have a friend in Portland that has just decided to train for a marathon. I'll get her on here too. Before we know it this thing will be huge!!!

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Amazing times for your 20 mile run, Donno!!!! Remember when we ran the Napa 12 and had something like 9:20/mi? I am soooo rooting for you.