Thursday, September 07, 2006

Has Anyone Seen Dayton's Glee?

Because Dayton seems a bit down in the dumps about his running, I thought I would post a few words of encouragement and some things I like to think about when I'm down about getting going.

Remember those runs through Tilden Park at the beginning that used to kick our ass. How we were so worried about not being able to make it back and would bitch about every mile.

That first run in Tilden was 6 miles if I remember correctly, and we weren't sure we were going to make it. But we did and it was awesome. Looking down into the valleys, enjoying the sights, each others conversation.


Then there was the hill at mile 8 on those runs. Holy Shit! I swear if I hadn't had Dayton's ass to look at on the way up I probably would have stopped most times. But remember Dayton you were always in front pushing us all to do better.

If that isn't working then I think of the run we made through wine country. Truly a very luxurious day. 12 miles a record for Julie and well worth it. The run was beautiful winding past grape vineyards and through Sonoma. The applause at the end, including the shopkeeper, made it all worth it. But the day had just started. Then it was out to Nicholson Ranch for a a glass of wine on the terrace.


Sitting there with all of you, was truly my second favorite part of all the training we did. I mean who can forget that great view, the wine and the famous phrase, "You mean not everyone lives like this?"

When I get down on running I just think to myself about all of these things and they are usually what it takes to get me back out there running. Especially during the later weeks of training when it feels like your whole life is running. But running is more than just putting in the miles. It's Tilden Park, and Nicholson Ranch, and Golden Gate Park, and the Golden Gate Bridge, and Kenyans and that time Dayton and I were on that mountain all alone and well......

3 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Sometimes I feel a little left out, Don. But then I realize that I get to be the fly on the tent wall up on Brokeback. ;) Te he he.

dr. deetschei said...

What does that make me? Michelle William? (worrying to say the least) - this is tessa, btw.

Sixpack Chopra said...

Tessa, that would make you Alma (you know, the wife left behind during the "fishing" trips. But never fear, He'll always come home.

:-)