Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Competition!!!!

Folks, we've got some competition out there!!!! I did a google search for "drunkrunners" yesterday. The good news is, our blog was the first thing on the list. The bad news is Number 2 was: Drunk Runners' Club! I think we need to have a talk with these people. I mean, they couldn't possibly be in competition with us. There website is terribly out of date, and I'm not saying anything, but they only seem to drink lite beer. What losers. He says from his high horse having just received a Maker's Mark Christmas Shaker, as his 2006 Maker's Mark Ambassador gift. Lite Beer!!! Psshaw!

On to the runs. Tuesday was a great 5 mile run. I have mapped out a great course that takes me up the monster of a hill from Glen Park that I have spoken of before, and ends with a block long street that is at least as steep as Marin St. in Berkeley. It kicks my ass, but I'm already getting better at it.

Today, 9 miles. I mapped out a new course. God, I love that USATF Course Mapping website. The course took me from here at home down to the mission to run the entire length of Valencia Street, then a short jog over to Glen Park and back up that beast of a hill, all the way up to the top of Twin Peaks and back down to home. The total course is a bit over 9 miles, but as I had troubles looking up due to the fog, and visibility was only about 100 yards, I hardly felt like I went anywhere. It was a nice comfortable run. My pace at 6 miles was 8:50, and I ended with an overall pace of 9:22. Not bad. Not Bad. I sure do wish I had kept some records in the last training set. I have no idea what I was averaging before. I'm pretty sure my goals before were to do 10-11 minute miles on the long runs. In which case I'm very happy with my present pace.

Week's Summary:
Distance: 14 miles
Average: 9:18
Overall Impression: Running In The Fog Is Like Running In A Hamster Ball Only Harder! (RITFILRIAHBOH)

2 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

Yeah, I saw them rigth after I came up with the name, and got worried about infringing on their territory. Then I saw them holding cans of Silver Bullet, and decided we could take them. Sounds like the training is going well, man. Keep it up! You're almost there!

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Tell me about this 16 miles!!! I got your text message but want to know more. I am in Jersey right now. Took a 3.25 mi run in my new shoes - SWEEEEEEEEEET! Funny how some of those knee/shin pains disappear.

I guess the presence of other Drunk Runners means we all need to get together (and soon) for a photo. I will be holding my easy-pour gallon jug of vodka. Don, you will be toting your Bourbon. DJ??? Will it be Crown Royal or Drambuie? And Wayne, what will your poison be? ;) Let's show them who puts the "Drunk" in Drunk Runners!