Wednesday, December 13, 2006

7-Days A Week? Who is this Freak?

Running / Cross training 7 days a week is not a good idea. Nor can I even imagine it. :-) Seriously, even if you are training intensely there should be at least one day off. Your body needs the rest. You might even consider 2 days of rest in a row. You should find that the first week you do that your times will drop on your next run. For example, I ran 5 miles last week in 49 minutes. Today, after a 2 day rest, I ran the same run in 45 minutes. Most of that can be attributed to rest. So, take it easy and don't burn yourself out now. You've got 5 months of training to do. Enjoy the lighter load now.

Hope the snow doesn't all melt before the holiday, or that it comes back. It's always nice to have a white christmas. Me, I just throw some flour on the balcony and a log in the fire.

3 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

I second Don. Not only will 7 straight days of training be hard on your body, it will ulitmately wear you down mentally. I have tried this method and it was just too much to maintain after a while. I, too, find that my times decrease when I take a break between runs. Something I hate, but which Don and DJ made me do, were sprints (see the runner's world plans). I hated them, but that is what brought my time down and what made the longer runs easier.

Running in those temperatures, what is the likelihood of developing a snot-mustache? Just curious. Inquiring minds want to know ;)

Sixpack Chopra said...

The frozen snot moustache is nothing I ever want to experience!!!! LOL.

also, Wayne, you should be worried more about distance right now, than about time. In fact, I would even say you should be looking to decrease your time, only as you feel comfortable at the longer distances. When you can do 10 miles, then worry about your time on a 5 mile run. But for the most part, don't worry about your times on the long runs.

Clyde S. Dale said...

To answer your question on the snot moustache, I would have to the chances are real good. I have a moustache so when I'm done running in those temps I'm never sure if it's snot or sweat that's frosted up in it. I've even tried the lick test but again sweat and snot are both salty, so how can I really tell which it is. Thanks for the advice, I took it into consideration this weekend. I took friday and saturday off, on sunday I comfortably ran my 3miles in 28.45. felt I could run more but didn't.