Monday, November 17, 2008

Week 2 of 40

This week went pretty well. I must say. So far the streak of workouts has extended to two weeks. Something I am very proud of. It's been a very long time since I could say that I had run everyone of my training runs.
Numbers are still very low, and even the recovering Dr. Deetschei is whooping my butt. However, the miles are good. My times are coming down on my shorter runs, but I did learn yesterday that my longer runs are going to suffer for some time. Not that that's to be unexpected.
Yesterday was the first 3 mile run. It's been a long time (get used to that phrase, I have a feeling as I continue training I'll be using it a lot) since I thought that 3 miles was a long run, but it sure felt like it. When I got to the halfway point it was hard for me to believe that I still had to run all the way home. Right now, I'm making sure I'm doing out and back runs. It's a good way of making sure I can't chicken out. Plus, I'm looking forward to seeing just how far I can go. As many of you know there is a canal through Berlin, and I live about 1/2 mile from it. I run to the canal and then run along it until I reach 1/2 way. Yesterday this meant that I ran one mile along the canal before turning around. It's quite nice, but I must say playing "Dodge the Smoking Germans" is not necessarily my favorite past time.
And about smoking! It's incredible here. You can't escape it. On a 3 mile run I encounter at least a dozen cigarettes. I've thought about counting, but it would just upset me. In fact, to let you know how prevalent smoking is here, I'll provide and example from my marathon book that arrived today "Marathon unter 4 H in 6 Monaten" (Marathon under 4 hours in 6 months). One of the example people for checking whether one is fit enough smokes. The suggestion was not that the person quit, but that he cut back on his smoking. Can you imagine training for a marathon and still smoking? I can't. Yes, Dr. PP we know about your friend, but seriously.

Stats:
Dist: 7 miles
Time: 65:40
Pace: 9:23
Overall Impression: Legs Still Feeling Good. I Think The Situps May Be Helping. (LSFG.ITTSMBH.)

2 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

I wish I was able to keep up, but I'll have to live through all of you for a few more months. Keep up the good work.

dr. deetschei said...

I love your post about the smokers. I think I wrote about all of the smokers standing at the starting corrals during the Cologne Marathon, which left me completely stupefied. My problem lately has been timing my run so that I don't hit major roads during rush hour. The Europeans can say all they want about how "green" they are, but I will take American emissions standards over theirs any day of the week. I think I'm getting black run just from running along the roads in London.