Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Setting a Marathon Goal

Read a brief blurb in Runners World recently. I don't know what the overall article was about, but it suggested a very sensible strategy for setting your next time goal for a marathon. You should in fact, have about 4 goals.
1) Your training goal. What goal do you want to attain in your next marathon while you are training.
2) Closer to race day this goal is adjusted to an ideal goal. What time would leave you absolutely ecstatic?
3) What goal do you think you can easily attain. Given a few kinks, where do you know you are fit enough to come in.
4) What makes the day worth it. If cramps hit at mile 16 what time will still leave you with head high at the end of the day.

An example:
1) training goal: 3:00
2) Adjusted race day goal: 3:15
3) Easily attainable: 3:45
4) Still acceptable: under 4

Finally, and most importantly NO ONE ELSE should know about goal #2. That way, if you do hit it, EVERYONE is ecstatic. And if you only hit goal 3. Only you know that that wasn't the real one.

Just a little FYI. So, when I tell you my goal is to always kick Clyde's ass, you will know that my true goal is to make him look like a little wussy girl!!!!

2 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

That's a mighty big glove you are swinging with, but that's OK I'll be up for the challenge. All I'm gonna say is you better plan on a qualifying time if you wanna whoop me!!!!!

dr. deetschei said...

i love sibling rivalry!

i think this is a great post, sixpack. i did something similar in dublin, and i was protected against disappointment by having the different goals. although i didn't meet my original goal, i was very close to my adjusted goal and well within my "i won't cry tears of defeat goal."