Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My Life in the Suicide Ranks

Yesterday was one for the record books. It started with an attempt at a run around 3 p.m. It didn't go so well.

I left the house with big plans to run the 8 miles I was scheduled for. Everything went well until 1.25 miles in. I mean, I was a little sore from my leg workout the day before, but I didn't think it was going to kill me. Then it hit me. Something akin to having your hip joint stabbed with a dull knife and your lower leg put in a too-tight-tourniquet. It seemed pretty clearly IT Band, and it also seemed pretty clear pretty fast that I was not going to make it another 6.5 miles. I ended up turning around and walking home. Sucky, Sucky, Sucky.

At 5:30 -- still moping from my unsuccessful run -- we sat down to dinner. It was a nice light dinner of Cornish Hen and potato salad. You didn't think you could eat that on Body For Life, but you can!!!!!! It was all great having been prepared by my wonderful partner. Then things went sour. Something didn't go down right. I tend to eat a little fast, and I think it finally caught up with me. Suddenly, I could swallow no more. That was it. I was hoping it would pass through, so I sat at home pretty miserable for 2 hours. Imagine a world where you can't even swallow your own saliva.

At 7:30 it was finally decided (A beautifully germanic phrase) that the only thing that would cure me was a trip to the emergency room. Sparing you the gory details five hours later I woke up after being knocked out so they could shove a tube down my throat and push the obstruction into my stomach. Ugh! Add Cornish Hen to the list of foods this Drunkrunner will not be eating for some time.

It turns out that I wasn't exactly being a glutton. I've been diagnosed with a hardened stomach sphincter (or something to that effect), which means that this was probably going to happen sooner or later anyway. I have to go back to the doctor next week and see what I need to do from here. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my new found freedom of being able to swallow, and I'm eating soft foods!

This is all to say that I will not be lifting weights today, and that my run has been postponed for a second attempt on Thursday. Today I will stretch the IT and see what happens.

Peace out, and remember: Chew your food!

2 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

duuuuuuuuuuude, that sucks. sorry about the facebook posts- my questions would have been redundant if i had read the blog this morning.
i can't even imagine how uncomfortable it must be having a tube shoved down your esophagus-get better, soon!

PS: happy thanksgiving! i hope you guys are still able to enjoy it (BTW, possibly the best thanksgiving celebration of my life was spent in your apartment. definitely thankful for both of you and all the drunk runners!!!!)

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Now you know what ducks feel like before they become fois gras! Don gras... doesn't sound quite as appetizing. Soooo sorry to hear about that painful and most definitely unpleasant trip to the hospital. Take it easy on the runs with your IT band, I want you healthy on the 13th! Speaking of which, have you put in your request for a bib transfer? I need to get on that... Eat plenty of soft cheeses, nothing goes down easier than a triple creme, except... oh wait!