Monday, November 12, 2007

Just putting in the miles

This week has been rather boring in terms of great running stories to share. I certainly have no forays in paté and although I might look like a pasty dumpling, I am not going to share that :)

So, I ended up still adding miles to supplement my training schedule, but I am still keeping myself to running 3 days a week. I don't know how accurate my times are, because I have a sneaking suspicion that Google maps is exaggerating my distances - the times just seem to fast for what I feel I am/should be running. I might have to borrow Ginifer's fancy-schmancy GPS running watch to get a more accurate reading.

Since I don't have a cool interactive chart, you are just going to have to settle with the ol' stats:

Distance:
20.6 mi
Time: 3:07:19
Avg. Pace: 9:05
Overall Impression: Sometimes it is nice to have someone breathing and sweating hard next to you!

In terms of stats, I believe I was only chased by one dog this week. That is pretty good! Given that the previous week I was chased by approximately 3! I didn't take my own pooch along this week, because apparently the 11 miles last week caused his back paws to split (I have no conclusive evidence that the 11 mi. caused it, because frankly I rarely spend a great deal of time looking at his paws. Anywho, he is getting a rest). So he spent the week, chugging sangria and licking his balls. Lazy dog!

Oh, Ginifer recently mentioned the Oklahoma City marathon (end of April) as another possible running opportunity. (Being from the state whose license plate sums up the experience of living there: "Oklahoma is OK." Mind you, it isn't "great" or "fantastic" or "amazing." It is just "ok.") We discussed running the half-marathon, but I would like to point out that Oklahoma City is just as flat as Houston. I don't think it is a qualifier for Boston, but I can promise you that there would be lots of barbecue and beer (sadly mostly fake 3.2 Oklahoma beer). The only downside to this race is the potential "stickiness" factor. Late April isn't too bad, but it might already be warm and humid.... Just tuck that away in the back of your minds for now.


3 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

your dog drinks sangria? sweet!
from my experience, google maps are usually *pretty* accurate. i mean, they aren't going to get it right down to the millimeter, but they aren't bad. you might just be faster than you thought!!! keep it up!
i wonder if i could talk tessa into flights to oklahoma for april...hmmmm...there would have to be a LOT of 3.2% beer for that to go down, i think!

Sixpack Chopra said...

I'm thinking end of April might be too soon, not to mention a weekend in Oklahoma is something I never hope to experience again! Yes, it's true, I've spent a weekend in Oklahoma, it was two decades ago, and too soon for my taste. :-)

Your times are great! Let us know if you use the GPS thingy, I'd love to hear how accurate they are.

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with looking like a tasty dumpling. You don't. You are more like a long lean bread stick, but I am just saying, don't knock it til you try it. We go great with chicken.