Monday, November 19, 2007

Electrolyte Madness

I'm writing this response to PP's concerns in the open forum in order to spread the word as far as possible.

1) GU. I love it! However I have found that I need the more mild flavors. My favorites are Espresso Love (mild coffee flavor) and Vanilla. The thought of Lemon Madness or whatever that flavor was turns my stomach as I sit here at my desk. This has been my experience with other products at races as well. Go for mild flavors. In the end you really don't want to taste much, and you definitely don't want an aftertaste.
2) Gatorade-esque products. My guess, PP, is that you poured gatorade straight from the bottle into your fuel belt. Bad idea. If you are going to use it out of the bottle mix it at 50% water, 50% gatorade. I have found it much more economical to use GU2O which I can mix myself. (It's a little tricky to mix, as it congeals quite quickly in the bottom of the bottle, but the shaking of running keeps it well mixed and works out any lumps before I reach the bottom of the bottle.) My favorite flavor is Raspberry! Awesome!!!! It ends up tasting a little watery, which isn't pleasant sitting in the living room, but is perfect for running. I think Deetschei's paté experiment and PP's recent Gatorade and GU experiments affirm that the body doesn't care much for intense flavors, textures, or richness during a run. If they could make these items a little less flavorful than baby food I think they would all be perfect.
3) Running vs. Stopping! With those handy squeeze bottles I don't stop for a second. I have no problems maintaining a decent pace and drinking on the fly. In the end you do gasp a little bit, but it's quite efficient. At least for me. Works just fine.

2 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

I actually mix my own Gatorade. We bought the giant tub-o-Gatorade, and it was fairly watery. Actually, it was mostly water with a hint of whatever the yellow flavor is. I am sure passersby thought I was carrying my own urine with me... Thanks for the tips. I just assumed going citrus would create a less offensive flavor, but I was mistaken. I will give the ol' Vanilla a try. I saw the 'Espresso' but thought it might be overpowering. Definitely going to avoid 'Cola'.

dr. deetschei said...

Vanilla is grrreeeeaaaat! sixpack is right about the mixing of the sports drink though, if you ever ditch the powder. just make sure you aren't relying solely on water or if you are, you have something that will put the sodium/salts back in your body.

once again, great runs! we're about at the part where you two shoot off into the stratosphere of really long runs, leaving me behind :) hooray!