Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Backman woes continue.

So I have been doing real well with my training, My times are in the 9:30's even on my 7 miler which is a full minute better than most of my paces last year. But I regret to inform that I will be unable to do the Houston marathon with ya'll. I just got back from an Orthopedic surgeon visit for my shoulder which has been giving me trouble for about 31/2 years now, normally a cortisone shot kills the pain. The first lasted 11 months, 2ND one 9 months, third 3 months and this last one 4 DAYS. I have to set up some time to get some bone shaved and a tendon repaired and possibly more if I tore a whole in my rotator cuff. The surgeon wanted me to have an MRI done, I asked if that would stop me from having surgery (knowing it wouldn't) and of course he said no, it was just so he knew what he was looking at. I told him I didn't want the out of pocket expense for a third MRI this year. I told him if he found more than what the x-ray showed while he had me open then well he should just fix it. I'll be asleep so I won't complain and you can tell me all about as a bed side story when I wake up. He laughed and said that's a bit old fashioned, but he liked my attitude. So I'll be down from running for a month or so depending on what they find in their, but I'll be off work for about 3months. So maybe I could be the nutrition packet bitch and cheer leader. I was really looking forward to this marathon. Well maybe next time.

2 comments:

Sixpack Chopra said...

That really sucks!!! I hope the recovery process is faster and slicker than snot! And, yes! We will be needing a snack bitch at the Houston Marathon! Don't think you can get out of it with something as minor as shoulder surgery. You've got two hands!

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Ha ha! I agree with Sixpack. It's only minor surgery. Suck it up and don't be a wuss :) Kidding. Sorry to hear about the setback, but it is better than being gimpy for the next 50 years!