Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Those Two Little Miles

I have been quite remiss in posting (not quite as remiss as Deetschei - I think he is on the "down low" with another runner's blog...). I am still running, just not talking as much about it. Here is a brief update:

Last week started out strong. I switched my long run to the beginning of the week just to change things up a bit. I ran 9 at a decent pace (8:30) considering I had run another 9 only three days earlier. The rest of the week consisted of a 4 and a 5 with paces hovering around 8:00. I had grand plans to run another 8 at the end of the week - which would have given me a marathon for the week - but wussed out. I decided to lay by the pool and turn myself into a pickled red beet egg as Ben dubbed me. (FYI, they look TOTALLY gross, and I have never brought myself to eat one, but Ben has some "festering" in the fridge right now):

Anyways, point being that I was too sunburned to run and sat around on the couch instead :)

Stats
Total Distance: 18
Total Time: 2:29:36
Avg. Pace: 8:18

Never fear, I am a professional. I hit the road this week with a "blistering" [ha ha] 11 miles. Who knew that those two little miles (from 9 to 11) could make so much of a painful difference? I haven't been sore from running for a good year now, but there was something about those 2 miles that broke me. I haven't run 11-12 miles since Napa (last spring), but I am happy to report that my time was MUCH better this year. This could explain, at least partially, why my knees and quads are screaming "You f*cking bitch!" when I go up and down the stairs. I will take today off and then slowly build the miles back up (making sure to run the Braintree 6.44k on Friday) and hopefully run another longer distance Sunday. Clearly I have abadoned following my training plan in the strictest sense... But I am trying to keep the total weekly miles the same.

Stats
Distance: 11 mi
Time: 1:33:15
Pave: 8:28

3 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

You make me sick! not really....what I am is jealous, I can't believe the times. If you keep this up you'll be going to Boston before you know it. Keep it up!

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Yeah, but 11 is not 26 and if my knees hurt this badly after 11, I can barely imagine another 15... at least not at the moment.

Clyde S. Dale said...

Ok why doesn't the picture show up.... ever!