Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Back on the Road!

Well, I'm back in the USA and attempting to get back on the road. I went to Fleet Feet yesterday and had my gait analyzed, by Forest of all people, and realized I might be more comfortable in a neutral shoe. That is as opposed to the stability shoe that I've been wearing. So, I'm going to give that a try. I'm also going to give the new Newton's a whirl. I'm hoping some of these changes will make me a better runner and lead me to more marathons and less injuries.

This morning I ran a whopping 2 miles and covered it in about 20 minutes. I'm making some assumptions here. I felt it better to run for 20 minutes and not worry about distance, than to try to push myself farther than I should. After all, I haven't run consistently since April. This is a very bad thing, that has also proven to be a pretty good thing. I feel terribly out of shape, but at the same time I do believe my tendonitis is healed and that I'm ready to go back at it again.

I'm going to run some numbers through Runner's World today and find a training plan to get me back on track for a marathon slowly and sanely. In fact, although I will run the Dublin Marathon, I think I'm going to give myself 6 months to train for the next one. Perhaps the Paris Marathon which will be run on the day before my 38th birthday. I'll, of course, keep you all posted.

For now it's back on the road and back to getting fit.

Overall Stats:

Distance ~ 2 mi.

Time: 20 min.

Pace: ~ 10:00 min/mi

Overall Impression: Seriously? Did I Really Run a Marathon in May? (S?DIRRAMIM?)

2 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Yay!! Welcome back. Glad we are in almost the same time zone again. Maybe it was the White Lightening or perhaps the Avian Bird Flue, or even the "Black Lung" that has slowed you down... all of which are fantastic excuses that I cannot lay claim to (sigh).

dr. deetschei said...

brilliant to have you back!! i'll call you tonight to chat about dublin.