Tuesday, September 09, 2008

$400 Worth of Motivation

Yes Folks, I spent $400 on running gear last weekend and now I'm feeling more motivated to get back out on the road. I think it's been clear through my posts over the past several months that I have been lacking in motivation. It's been tough to get out of bed and strap on the shoes. So, I thought, why not a new pair of shoes? And while I'm at it, why not pick up the Garmin Forerunner 405. I had actually been planning on getting the Garmin for some time, I simply needed to wait until I was paid for working in Beijing. Once that was done, I was ready to go.
This morning then was the first run with the new shoes and the new watch. It went very well. I'm still on way low mileage--8 miles scheduled for this week--but it is feeling good. I was encouraged by the accuracy of the watch as it measured my 2 mile run. I think it was off by an amazing 6 feet over the two miles.
There are many features I haven't even begun to explore like the virtual training partner--I can already see how that will come in handy on speed workouts.
My run was otherwise uneventful. It's going to take a lot of time to get back into shape. In fact, I've already decided to downgrade Dublin to a half marathon. I don't want to hurt myself, and I'm working on plans to run the Western States 100 in celebration of my 40th birthday in a few years. I need to stay in shape and keep running if I'm going to do that.
Speaking of shape, I'm still the same. Haven't lost any weight, but I haven't gained either. That's a plus. Now that I'm back on the road I might work toward those abs I've been looking for. Has anyone seen them? I lost them years ago.

3 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

sweet job on the buying front!
i think you are making a good choice with dublin, but i don't care hat you run as long as we get a few pints in together.i know i owe you a call back, but i have been exhausted that past few nights. i'll try calling tomorrow!

Sixpack Chopra said...

Holy Entrance Fee, Batman!!! I think I have to pay 80 Euros! Whoa! As for the pints, they were a given. In fact, I might stop at the Boar's Head and have a pint in the middle!

Unknown said...

That is quite an expensive way to get motivated but do understand. You are going to love 405. No questions. I *heart* 405. You have made a rational choice of going for half marathon in Dublin. Make sure you take a lot of pixs!