Saturday, February 02, 2008

An affair with mother Nature!

Well, here I am... Just in from my final run of week 4. What a week it was!!
Monday = 3 miles 45deg. not so bad.
Wednesday = 4 miles -7 deg. finished but must admit I wasn't lovin it by the end. I never knew you could run with frostbite on your lungs. I believe my testicles even popped back out sometime last night from "hibernation"
Saturday = 5 miles 26 deg. I finished at an 11:38 pace. overall not a bad day. I did have to stop for a breather a couple times. I kept them short. But with that being the longest I have ever run in my life I am satisfied. i now have a goal to beat for my next 5 miler on Weds. fewer stops at same pace.
My hip is coming along slowly. I believe it finished only a minute or two behind me today!! I did give it a shot of IcyHot before I ventured out. Semmed to do the job.
I am finding myself in limbo (would rather be finding myself in Cancun) regarding the marathon. I just dont know if I have 26 miles in me. I may be setting my sites too high. i can't decide if I should stay focused on a possible 26 or back down to 13 which I feel I can hit. I dont really want to pull back until i break that 10 mile marker. I hear after that it is all down hill.

Gotta run.. I would really appreciate any input on the whole limbo issue.

P.S. Love the Olsen twins reference Sixpack. I bust up everytime I think about it!!

4 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Hey Scooter, I completely understand the limbo issue and doubts about completing 26.2 miles. I am having them myself, but I am trying to work through them by taking it one week at a time and staying positive. I know that doesn't help, but I tell myself that if Oprah can run a marathon, well then I can certainly finish the 26.2 miles!!! ;) (No offense, Oprah.) I am sure that Sixpack and Deetschei will have better advice, from which I would also greatly benefit.

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Of course, I didn't mean to forget Forest!!! Forest, you recently ran your first marathon and had never really run a race before starting your training, what words of encouragement can you give us?

Sixpack Chopra said...

Scooter, about the question of whether or not you have it in you. You are starting at zero, but that just means you will have to go a little slower. You still have 16 weeks until the race. My guess is that you will end up walking a little bit of it, but if you maintain the mileage in your training program, you'll be able to finish.
And, after all, finishing should be your only goal with your first marathon. It sounds like you are training well, and your gender neutral firefighter training will also add to your fitness as you train over the next 16 weeks.
I would register for the race, and make any decision to run or not run in the days leading up to the race. Even on race day, if you don't think you can finish, then you battle it out with yourself and either call yourself a wuss and keep running past the 1/2 marathon, or you decide that a 1/2 marathon is still a great accomplishment. Only you know how that battle will play out, but my guess is that if you make it to the starting line you'll finish the marathon. And that goes the same for you, DR. PP.

dr. deetschei said...

i agree with sixpack. there is no doubt in my mind that you can finish a marathon. the reason training lasts 16 weeks is because you need that much time to get ready for a marathon. nobody starts out ready to run one- everybody has to work hard to get there.
so, you CAN do it, but only you may decide IF you do it!
having said that, if you would rather run a half marathon then you should go ahead and focus on that goal. half marathon is a great distance- it's a long distance, and it's a relatively fun distance.
just don't sweat it too much. you can do it, and from everything i hear, whichever race you decide on leads to fantastic beer and bratwurst!