Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Looking for Support

Hey folks,
I've fallen off one wagon and gotten on another. It's been a month since I started my job as a bartender and I haven't run once. I'm finding it quite physically taxing and have been working on ways to make it less so. My body, it seems, simply isn't used to a life that involves standing for more than 10 minutes--running aside. Add to this the frequent occurrence of back to back shifts, i.e. 9:30-2 a.m. followed by 3:30-9:30 p.m., and you have one tired man. It sounds a little wussy to be whining about a work shift that starts at 3:30, but working two shifts and 11 hours within a 24 hour period is quite taxing. I continue to search for ways in which to fit running into this schedule.
This brings me to the wagon I have gotten on to. For the next two weeks I will not be drinking. At this age one would think I would understand the ways in which alcohol consumption effects motivation. A) running with a hangover is not fun, B) it IS a depressant, and that don't help either. So, I'm going on the wagon. For now it's a two-week hay ride. However, I'm seriously contemplating becoming a rather tea-totalling Drunkrunner. Note: I said "rather." I'm not joining AA, but I'm looking at severely limiting consumption. This is also helpful as I work in a bar. It's way too easy to get off work at 9:30 and step to the other side of the bar.
So, I'm writing to ask for advice. I need motivation. Any tips for running around what is a pretty f'ed up schedule? Forest, do you want to get together for some runs? Maybe twice a week? I know the commitment would really help me get out and at least log the miles.
Any advice anyone has would help.

Sixpack

No comments: