Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Over the river, through the woods, over the hill and another hill and another hill...

So, as I recently discovered, there is a reason why they call our area "Hillandale." Compared to the swampland that was the L.J., our new home is full of small hills and some steady, gradual inclines. I won't even pretend that it can compete with Sixpack's Twin Peaks run, because it simply can't. Some days I really miss the flat, mindless run through the old neighborhood; other days I enjoy the new challenge and the fact that this kind of running forces different muscles to work. The other big challenge created by our recent move is finding a long enough route (that doesn't loop 10 times) that navigates between questionable and less questionable streets and neighborhoods. I joked with Ginifer when she gave me my Garmin that I wish it had a feature with police updates or could tell you "Crack head in .10 miles. To avoid, turn left now." (Clearly I shouldn't have watched so many episodes of The Wire before moving here.) But seriously, we found a really great area that has tons of regional parks with paved and unpaved trails. In many regards it feels a lot like the Bay Area and runs along Wildcat Canyon or Nimitz Trail.

I have been running 3 to 4 mi. runs every few days. My times are good - given the fact that I am becoming reacquainted with hills - I love the fact that uphills almost always mean speedy downhills! Nothing really noteworthy to share. I need to find some local races to get me back into the competitive mode. I'll find a few things that will help me focus and give me a goal.

That is the update from here. Let's hear from the rest of you DrunkRunners! Runs only When Chased - post about your 5k and how your training has progressed. Sixpack, any runs across Portland? Wisconsin? Forest, how are you surviving with Sixpack constantly giving you a hard time? Deetschei, keep us posted on the joys of running without a watch - I am intrigued.

2 comments:

Sixpack Chopra said...

Awesome! I'm so excited that the hater has to deal with hills again!!!!! That's amazing!

Great to hear that your new neighborhood is good for running and that you are staying on the road. The trick will be keeping the shoes on when teaching starts!

dr. deetschei said...

hahaha! brilliant. sounds excellent. you really should post some pictures!
don't worry about crackheads. their lungs are shot and they could never keep up with you!