Wednesday, July 16, 2008

And I Ran...

"I ran not far away, but I ran...." (Sung to the tune of Flock of Seagulls) Come on everybody! You know the tune. Sing along.
That's the story of the beginning of Marathon training. It's going to be a long slow training, but I'm very optimistic. Deetschei and I are training for Dublin and clearly he is going to kick my ass, but he's younger, he'll probably always do that.
This should be week 2 of the training, but it is really just week 1. Aside from Forest and I's 2 mile run on Sunday I have run about 35 miles since the end of April. That included the marathon. Not good. Therefore, I've stepped way back to the beginning and will do a training plan that is registered as "very hard" but starts with an assumed 6-10 miles a week. That's more than I have been doing, but I'm hoping it won't stress me out too much to start that low.
Training absolutely had to begin today, 1) because it is now 15 weeks to the marathon, and B) because I weighed in at 200 pounds yesterday. I haven't weighed this much in a long time, and I will now be taking care of that. You all know that I am recently singled and with my new found poverty, I'm sure losing weight will not be difficult, however, in the land of cheese and beer I am already finding it tricky.
Well, Cheese, beer and French Toast Fantasy. Ann Sather restaurant in Chicago serves French Toast Fantasy. Thank god for me it is 200 miles away. I would be a house. Start with two cinnamon rolls. Slice them in half (like a bagel) dip them in egg batter and fry like french toast. Nice start, eh? Well, then you slather some Mascarpone cheese in the middle, top with gronola and fresh fruit. Then you can finally serve. You'll be happy to know I didn't use the syrup she provided, although it certainly would have been decadent.
But, I digress. I'm going to look around and see what other training plans might be out there and maybe more appropriate for my fitness level, but for now, I've got 8 miles scheduled this week. 2 today, completed in 19 minutes--not bad, not bad. 3 on Friday, 3 on Sunday!

Wish me luck. The goal, as I've discussed with Forest, is to finish this marathon injury free. I know I said that about the last one, and I didn't injure myself at the marathon. I did it beforehand. So, in a sick way, I didn't injure myself with the last marathon. Anyway, I'll be taking it slow. Icing, Ibuprofen, etc.
Nutrition is also going to be a big part of it all. I've been working on following a different eating plan, one devoid of foie gras, and will slowly improve my diet and overall health, so that on race day I will be svelt and ready to go. :-)

Glad to hear everyone else is doing so well. Keep up the good work!!!!

2 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

French Toast Fantasy puts the Cherry Doughnut to shame and sounds absolutely fabulous. Log as many miles as possible before Beijing. I don't want you getting the Black Lung. :) The hills seem so lonely without my comrade in hate....

dr. deetschei said...

BTW, as soon as i saw the title to your post, i had the song running through my head. you don't need to remind me to sing along!