Monday, December 03, 2007

I Done Did Went and Broke Myself

Kids, what have I done? What did you let me do? What did you encourage me to do???? I am a complete physical wreck after today's 14 miler. To date, this is the furthest and longest I have ever run. I do admit, after 2 hours I did begin to wonder why exactly I was doing this to myself and how much more excruciating running for 3-4 hours could possibly be. It was then that I started to wonder if I was cut from the same cloth as you marathon alumni. Do I have the same steely determination and drive? I am beginning to question my ability and drive. Yikes!!! And all this because of a painfully difficult 14 mile run. Grrrr.

In all actuality, this run should have taken place last week, but a) I was flying home from Thanksgiving in New Jersey, b) I was preparing to leave on Tues. for a job interview and thought that hobbling around a campus from 8:45am-10:30pm might not make the best first impression I would like, c) those were my two main reasons. Since this week was suppose to be my "rest" week, I swapped weeks and made Thanksgiving week my extra-cushy rest week (perhaps a bit too cushy). I realize now, however, that I will be increasing my long runs every week until the last recovery week before the marathon. Ouch. I suppose that is the price we pay for turkey, pumpkin pie, and liquor.

In response to Deetschei's glorious achievement of the allusive 100 Mile Month, I have yet to reach this goal. If you count literally from say October 22 - November 22, the closest I have come has been just over 90 miles. I imagine that in the next few weeks, as my long run distances increase, I might just hit the Century Club - oh wait, doesn't that involve 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes? Well, I already belong to that club. This will be my second Century Club then.

Back to the 14 miler today. I was a bit disappointed that my time increased over the 12 miler I did two weeks ago, but it was 83 and humid today [don't even get me started] so I take some solace in that - my avg. was 9:43 (up 38 seconds from the 12 mi run). I am much faster when it is cold, really. But, at some point along the way, I decided that finishing the distance was my biggest goal, as the furthest I had run up to this point was 12 miles. So I consider this a minor victory today and am pleased that I didn't break down into a messy shamble on the side of the road and have to call Ben to come pick me up! Yay! Hooray for minor victories. Plus, I burned a whopping 1547 calories (according to this handy website: Map My Run that I stumbled across and am posting a link to via our website. For people without the Nike Plus, this is a handy alternative to route mapping and calculating your workout. I would hesitate to save your runs though, as that seems like an ingenious way to let perverts and rapists find out where you run!) On the downside of things (because you know that with me there always has to be a downside...), my calves are killing me and my knees aren't feeling the best. I won't go into great detail, but upon coming home my body wasn't sure which end it wanted to expel things from first. I am pretty sure that I might have been dehydrated, despite carrying 32 oz. (2 lbs) of liquids on my run. If only the public park's water fountain had actually been working. That was a dirty, dirty trick on the part of the city's Parks and Recreation crew. They are due a very nasty phone call tomorrow.

Sooo, despite my sudden lack of faith in my ability to actually finish a marathon after only running 14 miles, I think this week has been pretty good. Hopefully the temperature will cool down and next week's 16mi won't be quite as daunting.

Distance: 24.05
Time: 3:46:42
Avg. Pace: 9:25
Overall Impression: Clearly I am doing something wrong, as I only had one car honk at me today. Must investigate.

3 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

did you really do 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes? i don't know anyone else who as ever been able to finish it. DAMN!

so, don't sweat the 14 miles. sometimes you just have bad runs, and sometimes they happen during your long runs. heat and humidity will take it out of you in no time, as well.

basically, if you're fit enough to run 12, then you're fit enough to run 14 and 16 miles. there's not much difference between the three in terms of what you are asking your body to do. per essempio: last year i had a horrible 14 miler. i wanted to die. the next week i ran 16 miles faster than 14. i'm not talking average- it literally took me longer to finish 14 miles than it did 16. i'm not saying this is typical, but you'll be surprised when you hit the road next sunday, i promise.

also, once you finish 16, you'll be fit enough for 18. 20 and 26.2 miles suck no matter how fit you are, i'm not going to sugarcoat it. but don't let that trick you into thinking you can't do it. you will. if you have the discipline to get a PhD over the course of 6 years, then you can run for a few hours. just keep your legs moving!

two things though: try starting your hydration the day before. generally, if i don't have to wake up in the middle of the night to pee, then i try and drink a little more. but, then again, i'm a camel.

also, i'm a little concerned about your taper. do you only have one week? you should ideally have about three...two would be better than one. you need to rest your legs a bit so they don't turn into useless noodles on the big day :)

anyway, keep it up and don't be frustrated by one bad run. the rest week during thanksgiving probably helped you more than you realize, so don't give in to the urge to overtrain to compensate for some important recuperation. you rock very, very much!

dr. deetschei said...

oh yeah, don set up a challenge a couple of weeks ago to run 100 miles by the end of the year, so it sounds like you're on pace to make the finish line with itme to spare. we'll have to make you a cyber trophy to ring in the new years!!!
AND, i din't congratulate you enough in my last comment on acheiving a personal best at 14miles- way to go! now get ready to kick 16's ass :)

Sixpack Chopra said...

My sediments exactly!!!! Once you reach 14 miles, which you did amazingly well, then you've got this thing licked. I agree with Deetschei, 20 and 26.2 miles suck no matter what is happening.

You're doing great!!!!!