Friday, July 20, 2007

Run Lun Dun

My big secret plan for last week was to only run three times but run ten miles each time. By using my advanced humanities degree, I calculated that would give me 46 miles for the seven day period. I changed my mind somewhere during the first run though, and settled for 22 miles on four runs, which went something like ten miles, five miles, four miles, three miles. Only slightly off plan.

But then, if I really thought I was going to do it, I would have told you about it beforehand.

SO, Monday brought a new week, and with it a new challenge. Since I'm in London temporarily for Tessa's birthday and a job interview, I decided to integrate "The Big Smoke" into my madness: And I ran from Tessa's parent's house to St. Pauls. The Nike (Plus) gave me 10.5 miles for the run, but I think it was closer to 11...but that's not important. What is important is that I experienced an East End safari like no other, starting in the humble burough of Redbridge before running to Wanstead, and then following the Leytonstone High Street until it turned into Mile End and curved into the city near Aldgate. I hung a left and shot down to the river, leaving the commercial turmoil only to emerge directly where the tourist turmoil begins. I then followed the river (more or less directly) to the Millennium Bridge, where I hit the stairs to St. Pauls and,um, stopped. I vaguely wanted to keep going to Parliament, but I was exhausted from counting eel and pie shops (of which there are millions) and meditating on the fact that no matter how I say the word "Eastenders", Tessa still corrects my intonation. (See, you have to stress this syllable, not that one.) If you know anything about London, then you can probably appreciate the feeling of running through so many buroughs, running from the fourth zone to the first, and running past all of the traffic lining up at the points where the congestion charges begin. Even though I only ran ten miles on paper, the run had a vaguely bigger "feel" to it, knowing that I covered a distance between two points that most sane people would only attempt with the subway or train.

One more thing: Two days ago I passed a milestone with Nike (+)! Since I ran 13 miles between getting this fun little device and New Years, this means I still have another 8 miles until I hit 500 in this calendar year. So join me as we count it down and celebrate yourselves while motivating yourselves to get back out there. Remember, I only ran 600 miles all last year, and these 500 miles have come after a two month injury layoff when I seriously questioned whether I would ever run again. You guys are doing great with your rehab, and there is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel. Run to it.

3 comments:

Sixpack Chopra said...

Aside from needing some work on your math skills, that sounds like an awesome run. Having now been to Redbridge, I know just how far you ran, and it certainly seemed physically longer than 10 miles, and I'd say psychologically it's closer to about 26.2. From Suburbia to the heart of urbanity!! Wish I could have been there.

Keep up the running. My shoes haven't been laced up in weeks. I'll post today.

Clyde S. Dale said...

Keep up the awesome miles, it keeps me wanting to run, wanting to get back out and put miles on like nobodys bussiness. Thanks for the motivator.

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

My math sucks, but I agree with Chopy. :) I remember running 10 miles once, a long time ago in a far off land called in-shape! Keep up the running. I tell you, running with black lung is only going to make you stronger! Did I ever tell you about my friend who smoked filterless cigarettes while running...his goal was to run the American Lung Cancer Society's marathon while chainsmoking. If that isn't f*cked up, I don't know what is. You would have loved him!