Friday, August 01, 2008

Third Week Review! Action! Comedy! Hijinks!

14 miles. So very, very long. When did it get to be so long? I don’t know. But man, somebody added bonus miles to my long run last week. Quite frankly, I don’t think its cool, at all, to mess with somebody’s long run by sneaking in at least six miles extra. I mean, fourteen miles? Who are we kidding? That felt like it was at least twenty miles. Maybe even 22. Whoo boy.

Anyway, as you may have gathered, my third week involved challenges. And determination. And alterations.

I knew that things would need to be juggled slightly because Tessa and I were going to Stourhead Saturday night for some fireworks and fancy dress, and also to Wells to visit our friends Megan and Andy. So, in order to accommodate this wrinkle, I did something unprecedented: I moved my long run forward instead of back. Knowing that my weekend would be jammed full of friend-type goodness and farm time chicken chasing, I woke up very early Saturday morning and ran. And ran. And ran. In fact, I’m probably still running at this very moment, and if you should see me in Greenwich, ask me what I did with my keys.

The things is, my body just doesn’t understand Saturday long runs. It just didn’t catch on that it was supposed to be partaking in an endurance building activity. It thought that it was supposed to be on the couch scanning the TV for O.C. reruns, and as a result, it never got into the groove. It didn’t step to the beat. So the long run lived up to its name, and I didn’t enjoy myself as much as I could. Considering I was running around Greenwich Park while holding a giant banana for sustenance, I should have been having a blast. I mean, parks + bananas = tomfoolery of some sort, doesn’t it? Don’t answer, P.P. because I already know your response, and I know it involves George Michael, and both he and I don’t find it funny. Not one bit. ☺

Anyway, week three is over and I am in the middle of week 4, which is an oh so savory recovery week. Three runs of six miles, and nothing more. Its been fantastic, and I am really looking forward to waking up Sunday morning, strapping on the shoes, and being home again in less than an hour.

So I can get back on the couch and find those reruns of the O.C..

Last Weeks Miles: 23 miles

Last Weeks Average: Somewhere around 9 minutes per?

Total Impression: Halfway to Halfway There on Sunday! (HHTS!)

2 comments:

Sixpack Chopra said...

Sounds like things are going well. It's not easy after years of training to convince a body that it should do a long run on Saturday. Forest and I were recently discussing how natural it is to run on Sunday morning.

Keep it up. 9 minute pace is awesome!!!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.